18 February 2009

The Dancing Gene

I had some heartfelt conversations with my California Grandpa at Christmastime. Michael Jackson was on repeat in my car that month. Once, when it was just me and Grandpa on the road, we discussed our shared love of the King of Pop, and our shared love of dance. Grandpa was surprised (and proud) to hear that in certain parts of the world, I have something of a reputation when it comes to dancing. He told me a story about back in the day when his students were having a dance party at school and he joined in. He said the Compton high schoolers were impressed with his moves.

"I don't think there's anything to it," he said. "You just get out there and start moving to the music."

It's all in the family.

The way he moves, Ely Kim could be part of my family. (Seriously, Ely Kim. Let's get married.) He danced to 100 different songs for 100 days, and you can watch him shake it down here. Day 49 is one of my faves; bonus points if you know why.

BOOMBOX from Ely Kim on Vimeo.

Everybody dance now.

7 comments:

NathanLee said...

This is awesome. I never knew about Ely Kim. And I've never seen your dancing gene in practice. I propose a 100 days, 100 songs project by Molly.

By the way, I'm currently in dance aerobics. Does that count?

Molly said...

Dance aerobics most definitely counts, Nathan. You're dancercising in San Salvador? What a good life.

I'd take you up on that project proposal, but the dancing gene is at it's best amidst an audience of college students at a Medders show, or in a dark room mostly full of people speaking another language, so that I don't know if they're talking about my crazy moves. Maybe I'll do 100 days of cover songs on kazoo!

What would you do for 100 days?

Molly said...

Also, woohoo! I beat Gabe to the punch.

NathanLee said...

100 days, 100 haikus?

Molly said...

100 days, 100 recipes for coconut?

Johnna said...

It's because of Coconut Records!

Day 56 wins for me because of his great beanie. As always, thanks for sharing.

Molly said...

Mom goes, "Is it because he's in his boxers?" Geeze louise. Johnna gets the gold.