08 February 2009

Antique Edifices

Buildings, like most nice things, only get better with age. Take the Parthenon. Wait, no, I take that back. That's a terrible example.

The buildings I'm talking about are those that we grew up around, not those that grew up around us. Those that, though we've never seen them before, seem to be lined along the Main Streets of our minds.

Small Town New York

These were just my feelings when I snapped this picture from the railcar window of the fabled Adirondack train late last summer. On my way from Montreal to Albany, I saw many beautiful things: lakes, lush forests, mountains. But my favorite part of the six hour ride was when the train went through the old towns of northern New York.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I love that photo. One of my favorite old building is in downtown Indianapolis. It used to be a big warehouse and then a flea market, I think. Now a lot of the windows are broken and it is abandoned, but it looks great from the freeway.

Jenna said...

This is a perfect example of a ghost sign. Luke and I love finding these. There are a few gems in Arkansas as well; we actually found a book, "Ghost Signs In Arkansas" that has helped us find out about the history behind these buildings.