22 September 2009

name that sensation

Help me out, please. I'm trying to come up with a word. What do you call it when a song falls into your lap and you're instantly smitten. You don't want to listen to any other song for at least a few days, or maybe ever again. Maybe. You're smitten, so you're allowed to entertain the idea that this song might be It for you. You put that song into its own playlist and then set that playlist to repeat. You haphazardly whip up a mix CD topped with that song or copy the song to your iPod so you can listen to it over and over again in your car. With the windows down and the wind blowing and the leaves are changing and you do feel home.

This song might be It for me.
(But I've said that before. And before that. And even before that. So many times.)

So what do you call this kind of song when it happens to you? Maybe I'll make you a mix of those songs of mine if you come up with a name for them that saves me the trouble of saying, "Oh man, I just heard this song and I can't stop listening to it."

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I made Jo Jo a mix like that for her 21st birthday. Twenty-one songs she had obsessively listened to during our time together.

Molly said...

I think mix CDs may be a love language that all seven of us understand.

Nicholas May said...

The word you are looking for is: scrumtrulescent.

There, I'd like a mix cd now. Thanks. :-)

Molly said...

Scrumtrulescent! I like it. I hadn't heart of that word until here (and there), but as much as I like it, it's an adjective and it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Have you heard the term "earworm"? Meaning one of those songs that you can't get out of your head even if you want to? I'm looking for something like that, except with only the most positively scrumtrulescent connotations. It needs to apply only to songs, and it needs to be a noun. Otherwise I might have tweaked your idea into strumtrulescent and called it a day. Any other bright ideas?

M said...

I always say "this is a heartsong."